|2014 Ryder Cup
U.S. Ryder Cup Captain Tom Watson held a media conference at the Greenbrier Classic in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. | Read the transcript
MORE NEWS FROM THE PGA of AMERICA
U.S. Senior Open News: PGA Life Member Sonny Skinner of Sylvester, Georgia, winner of the past four Senior PGA Professional Player of the Awards, was the Low PGA Club Professional at the 2014 U.S. Senior Open, July 13, in Edmond, Oklahoma.
Skinner, 53 shared 26th place after finishing at 7-over-par 291 over four rounds at Oak Tree National Golf Club, and earned $25,800. Skinner tied for 31st at the PGA Professional National Championship in June, in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Jerry Haas of Winston Salem, North Carolina, head men’s coach at Wake Forest University and brother of two-time Senior PGA Champion Jay Haas, closed with a 69 to share 33rd at 292. He earned $20,443.
- Sterling Cut Glass Extends Golf Retirement Plus™ Partnership Through 2015
- Callaway Golf Extends Golf Retirement Plus™ Partnership Through 2016
May rounds played were up 1.4% and days open were up slightly 0.7% nationwide. May 2014 has been the first month this year with an increase in rounds over the same period in 2013. This results in a move of the YTD rounds played from -3.6% in April to -1.8% through May. On average, 32% of the nations annual rounds are played through May. Other key statistics include:
- A total of 29 states reported rounds played increases for the month of May. A majority of these experienced weather that was warmer, drier or typical for a May month.
- YTD 2014 had the fewest days open in PerformanceTrak history. In total, thirty-four states reported fewer days open this year compared to YTD May 2013. Yet, the YTD May 2014 rounds played per day open ranked 3rd highest in the last nine years.
- The first five months of this year have been the coldest since 1996. This was largely influenced by the eastern half of the country's colder/much-colder temperatures January through May. A majority of the states that reported decreases in play were colder, wetter or a combination or the two.
Click here to access PerformanceTrak News which provides rounds played and revenue results for May and YTD 2014.